Vasundhra Rajagopal, a native of Srirangam, Trichirapalli district, Tamilnadu, commenced
her musical training from Gana Ratna Vidwan Sri N Gopala Iyer, a descendant of
the illustrious composer, Koteeswara Iyer. Within a short of span of five years she
matured into a performing artiste. In 1974, she left the Indian shores for Canada where
she lived for over two decades. While at Canada she continued to nurture her interest in
Carnatic music by giving a number of concerts and by training a number of youngsters, some
of whom have blossomed into concert artistes. Her daughter Nisha Rajagopal, who also had
her initial training under Vasundhra is one of the rising young stars in Carnatic music
today. She moved with her family back to India in 1995. She now resides at Chennai, where
she continues her quest for excellence in music.
Academic Qualifications and Professional Achievements:
Vasundhra graduated from Delhi University with a Master of Science degree and later got
her CMA (Certified Management Accountant ) in Canada. She worked in a management position
while at Toronto, Canada at Bell Canada. Upon moving to India, she held the position of
Financial Analyst at United States Agency for International Development (USAID), New Delhi
and later a Senior Executive position with a multinational company at Chennai. She
relinquished her professional management career in 1999 in order to devote her complete
attention to Carnatic music.
Tutelege in Carnatic Music:
- Commenced training with Gana Ratna Vidwan Sri N
Gopala Iyer ( a descendant of the illustrious composer Koteeswara Iyer).
- Had the opportunity to benefit from the guidance of Sangeeta
Kala Acharya Vidwan Sri Calcutta K S Krishnamurti.
- Currently under the guidance of Sangeeta Choodamani
Vidwan Sri T R Subramaniam and Sangeeta Kala Acharya Vidwan Sri P S
Prizes and Awards in Carnatic Music:
- Awarded the Gold Medal in 1972 from the Central Government for
winning the first prize for three consecutive years in the Inter-Ministry Music
- Recipient of the first prize in the All India Radio Music
Competion in 1972.
- Received the Canada Council Grant for Advanced training in
Carnatic Music in 1992.
- Has given concerts in almost all the major cities in India and
the United States and Canada.
- Performed in almost all the leading Sabhas in Chennai like the
Krishna Gana Sabha, Narada Gana Sabha, Karthik Fine Arts etc.
- Recital for fund raising effort for "Nellie's Shelter
home for Battered Women" in Toronto, Canada, in the presence of the Canadian Prime
Minister Mr. Brian Mulroney in 1991. The event raised over $60,000.
- Participated in a thematic fund raising programme for Gujarat
Earthquake victims in 2001 at Chennai. The event raised Rs. 25,000.